Sometimes pretentious yet mostly brilliant. Mostly.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Ugh... A No-Comic Wednesday...

Oh Captain, My Captain,

No new comics are out today, which is lame. Probably the Thanksgiving holiday. What's worse, I didn't even get last week's new comics because of the almighty turkey day. So I got nothing today...

or do I?

Instead of talking about/reviewing comics, I'm going to talk about/review an online fun thing by Fiona Staples and friends, and my favorite athlete at the moment; Wes Welker.

First, the Drink&Draw Calgary.

I'm a big Fiona Staples fan, and followed the links on her website like a creepy stalker-type guy to find the Drink&Draw blog. She and six other comic writers/artists get together, get drunk, and get with the drawing of passaround comics. They then post them at the homepage. These are usually funny and absurd, like the following:

I think this is awesome. Not only are the comics well-drawn for drunk folks (Fiona is a comics genius), but they are hilarious. Plus, occasionally the artists will throw up sketches that are friggin' sweet. Like Fiona's True Blood fan sketches.

For this reason, I totally want to get a Drink&Draw started in my town. If you have my number and some pens, I'll buy the sketchbook and we can schedule a day to do a weekly comic jam or something. Seriously, I suck as an artist, so hit me up and we can suck together. Unless you're good. Then I'll just suck up your drawings.

Here is the Drink&Draw Calgary Homepage. I suggest you follow it like Moses:
http://drinkanddrawcalgary.blogspot.com

Moving on; to Wes Welker.

Those of you that follow the NFL surely must be familiar with the New England Patriots, home to one of our generation's greatest quarterbacks, Tom "muthafuckin" Brady (Know that I'm a New York Giants fan, so admitting this is a little self-serving, since NY took away the Pats' perfect season in 2007). A little treat that the Pats picked up from Miami was another awesome wide receiver other than Randy Moss. His name is Wes Welker.

There's a lot of reasons to like Welker. He beasts on some underneath routes, he gets the most yards after a catch in the NFL, and he takes coverage off of Randy Moss so that the Pats can make those explosive offensive plays that the Pats are famous for.

By I like Wes Welker because of the odd circumstances of his employment. He is keeping the dream alive for tiny white guys like me. Welker is only 5'9". Not only making him one of the shortest receivers in the NFL, but also one of the shortest general players. Receivers typically need to be tall and have a huge wingspan, like Chad Ochocinco at 6'1" or Randy Moss at 6'4" to make big plays.

Not only is Welker playing an unlikely position for his build, but he's also really damn good at it! A great receiver and an explosive punt and kickoff return runner. I'm only 5'8" so his being short is awesome to me. Plus, he likes to party like I do!


Well that's all I got for today. I hope you check out Drink&Draw (or contact me about Drink&Draw Richmond) and I certainly hope you have an appreciation for Wes Welker. Keep on rocking!

-Steve

No comments: