Sometimes pretentious yet mostly brilliant. Mostly.

Friday, October 30, 2009

Absolut Boston

Because it's Friday...

And because it's that awesome day before Halloween when I taste test everything I'll be enjoying on Halloween day, I'll break format for this new type of review;

LIQUOR REVIEW!

Today I'll talk about the third in Absolut's city series. (The first two were New York and LA. LA was delicious)


This one is Absolut Boston:

Ignoring the cheap booze in the back of my freezer, know that I do have some distinguishing tastes.

The flavor of this fine beverage is black tea and elderflower, a patriotic reference to the Boston Tea Party of the American Revolution. The bottle design should be awesome for Red Sox fans, it's the Green Monster of Fenway.

The scent is strong, and reminds me of other tea-flavored vodkas. Not necessarily Firefly, because Firefly is usually citrus or fruit flavored as well. But Sweet Carolina is a tea-vodka that is just sweet tea. That is the smell you get from Absolut Boston.

Taste-wise, it's a little more complex than your average tea-vodka. It's much more smooth than Firefly, and has less sweetness. The tea flavor is more of a tea aroma that lingers in the mouth after you drink it. Not bad on the rocks, and an easy shot if you're trying to get some girl drunk (perverts).

As for the recommended beverages they suggest on the bottle, I only tried 3 of the four;

Boston & Ginger Ale (tasty)

Boston & White Grape Juice, Topped off with Ginger Ale (surprisingly awesome)

Boston & Tonic (duh)

Boston & Cola

The vodka and ginger ale combo was good, as to be expected. It's a very herbal flavor, like gin. I love gin.
The white grape juice drink is called an "Absolut Homerun" and I was surprised that the grape juice flavor went well with the tea flavor of the vodka. But go heavier on the vodka than the recipe says, it's much too light.
Vodka tonic... can't really go wrong. Add a lemon instead of a lime, unless you like your tea with limes, I usually don't.
I don't have Coke, or Pepsi products, but if I had to guess, I'd say the Boston & Coke tastes a lot like Red Bull Cola or Cricket Cola. Some sort of gingery soda that isn't as sweet as normal cola. But that's just a guess.

Overall, I give Absolut Boston a 9/10 It will certainly get the job done for me.

Stay saucy everybody, and I'll do the same.

-Steve

No comments: