Sometimes pretentious yet mostly brilliant. Mostly.

Monday, August 31, 2009

Disney's Aquisition of Marvel Comics

Howdy digital dirtbags!

So I was awoken by a flood of "happy birthday" texts today, followed by a brief simple message reading, "Disney bought Marvel." Before I did my daily devotional and had my morning sandwich and Propecia combo, I'd already heard enough of senseless bitching from fanboys on the internet.

Seriously, I have three things to say, as a fan and comic reader myself, regarding the news:

1: Fanboys stop complaining. Regardless of whatever blood feud you have against the Disney corporation or its affiliates (personally, I love Disney movies and Pixar and the whole shebang), if Marvel Comics was in a position where they had to sell in order to stay afloat, then you weren't doing your job as "fans." If you don't BUY comics, they won't keep MAKING comics. I know we're in a recession and we've all taken a hit, corporations included, so if downloading the latest Marvel comics or Marvel movies is your style, you're only hurting Marvel.

2: In all likelihood, the content and the characters in Marvel comics won't change. They're not replacing all the talent with Disney animators and writers, and if they are, I can't imagine why. The sad thing, and @ronmarz had a good point; if you're more worried about what's gonna happen to the Hulk and or Captain America (although it seems like more people are concerned for Wiccan and Hulkling) that what will happen to the REAL PEOPLE working at Marvel like Matt Fraction or dare I say Jeph Loeb, then you're not a fan, you're a piece of shit.

3: This buy may be a GOOD THING for Marvel comics. Fanboys have been complaining recently about the selective $3.99 price on some comics. If you knew jack shit about the publishing business right now, you wouldn't give a rat's ass about healthcare or the auto industry. Publishing is expensive, and Marvel has been trying all sorts of ways to cut costs without cutting corners (online content, web ads, price increases, you name it, look here: http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=21873). Now, one of the bigger media conglomerates in the world has its hold on Marvel comics. Ever think MAYBE this will keep that price tag at $2.99 instead of $3.99? Let's wait and see how things pan out.

That's it for now. Until then, parents, you'll just have to get used to your kid's Crayolas looking more like this:

As always, thanks for listening and enjoy my birthday. I hear it's nice out.
-Steve

No comments: