Sometimes pretentious yet mostly brilliant. Mostly.

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Because I'm Bored and Awake

Good Morning (I hate you),

Well, I forgot my weekly comic reviews this week, mainly because nothing particularly awesome came out for me. Instead, I picked up the following

Flash: Rebirth #4
Invincible Volume Ten: Who's The Boss
Invincible Volume Eleven: Happy Days
Three Shadows
It's Superman (A novel by Tom De Haven)

All good stuff I guess. Oldies but greaties. Geoff Johns retcons the origins of The Flash's Speed Force. I don't know how I feel about that, because it involves a lot of "comic science" to explain how even though other speedsters came first, Barry Allen is the creator of the Speed Force that gives them their powers. It sounds like he's trying to make Barry the "Ion" of the speedsters. Not every group of heroes with the same powers needs a fucking poster boy. It's like saying "there may have been other mutants with healing factors before Wolverine, but because of his DNA being shot back in time via a story arc yet to occur in Old Man Logan, he actually is the root of all healing mutants, including Angel, Elixir, Sabretooth, Omega Red, Apocalypse etc." It's just kind of lame.

Three Shadows was amazing. A little sad. Okay a LOT sad, but it kind of moved a little slow for me. The story is legit. Suspenseful at times, dramatic The art looks like Disney storyboards (it was written by a former Disney animator). I can relate to lots of the characters and the fact that it was written almost as a tribute to a child that passed away... man. Good stuff.

Invincible sure hasn't gotten bad. Kirkman always tends to hang right in the middle with me. He writes a series so long that it almost get predictable, but I'm glad that Allen the Alien's little twist was thrown in. He was the most unexpected part of the comic and now he's a three-dimensional powerhouse. (Although I think I may have spotted some continuity issues between Atom Eve's family in these trades and Atom Eve's two-issue origin mini-series)

It's Superman is very touching. I've never been happier to have a professor like De Haven. His Fiction Workshop is helping me be more conscious of things in my writing. The characterization of Lex Luthor and John Kent is stellar. Overall the novel does an awesome job of filling in the transformation from farmboy to the mature figurehead of the Justice League. It's Superman.

In other news, I say the strangest things. Some of them stupid, ignorant, and some sort of poetic and well-suited to romantic comedy movies (maybe that's my niche?). At any rate, give me your thoughts on this gem:

"I'm not holding my breath, but that doesn't mean I can't stop breathing from time to time."

I'll leave out the context and whatnot out of respect for anonymity. But that is such a great line to throw in a Nicolas Sparks novel or something.

Anyway, that's all I have this week. I'm gonna sit around and pretend I'm David Duchovny for the rest of the weekend. Enjoy yours.

-Steve

1 comment:

rachel said...

My favorite part of this post is:
"I'm gonna sit around and pretend I'm David Duchovny for the rest of the weekend."