Sometimes pretentious yet mostly brilliant. Mostly.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

More Poetry!

Heya Crowd!

So in my foolishness, I deleted a poem I wrote that I hated, but my Poetry Workshop loved, so I've taken the time and spent the hard labor of re-typing it here for you at the low price of "I-don't-get-paid-for-this!"

Tell me what you think:

"The Strongman and the Liar" or "The Fortress of Solitude"

When Superman left his burning home
He had no idea what he
Was to become.
Time he saved Metropolis from
Thundering explosions
And again he fought back Bizarro and
Lex Luthor in their lunacy, with
His spitcurl still in place,
And blue eyes beaming.
Life became one crisis after another in
The form of cybernetic alien conquerors
Bent on enslaving the planet or
Young, prideful Superboys from a dying Earth.
But Lois.
Lois was Delila. She, after years of prodding,
Learned the secret.
Maybe he just told her.
Maybe he said, "Lois, I love you."
By whatever inclination, she flipped back her
Jet black hair, lit a cigarette, and
Lied.
"Your secret's safe with me" she said.
But Kal-El went the way of Samson.
His hair was cut.
His eyes put out.
He found himself in solitude and cried what tears he could.
So when I leave home and
Do my best, when I
Turn evil on its back,
Leave my secrets where they stand.
If I love you, love me.
But I won't trust you with my thoughts,
Because the strongman's kryptonite
Isn't kryptonite, but rather
Letting lovers in.

That's all for now, folks! Have a good'un!

-Steve

2 comments:

Samantha Simon said...

When i heard you were writing poetry i half expected it to be the typical uber emo (not that this isnt emo lol) myspace blog that i used to run into back in the day. HOWEVER. i should have known it would be comics-themed lol! insightful poem. i love the parallels you make. GOOD JOB!
ps. "that's all folks" is definitely "beleebeleeblebleeeeb that's all folks!" you are anything but a porkey pig child.

Steve Lynn B. said...

Thanks Sam. It's not hard to guess that the bulk of my creative work is sad in one way or another (important to remember that the speaker of a poem is not necessarily the writer, I get so much shit for that). But I'm trying to lighten moods with jokes, nerdy juxtapositions, and the occasional poem about drinking till I puke.

ps. WB was already pissed about me infringing on their copyrights to Shuster's "Superman TM" character, so I had to edit the ending of the post. Hahaha